Wednesday, July 25, 2012

PROJECT: Writing Nook

Do you have a special place where you write? I usually find myself snuggled on the end of the couch, laptop balancing on the couch arm or burning in my lap, while my husband sits next to me watching Seinfeld. 

Now, I love me some Seinfeld, but it can be quite distracting when your trying to write in rhyme or craft a climatic scene in a novel. We do have a desk in the house, but it resides in our toddler's bedroom (which is a huge problem, because the only time I CAN write is during her naptime or bedtime.)

So the other day I was staring at a corner of my bedroom, the corner that was supposed to be made into a reading bench, but never was and it hit me . . . 

I can turn that corner into my writing nook! 

And so begins PROJECT: WRITING NOOK. 



So . . . what does one need in a writing nook? Off the top of my head, I can only think of two things.

1. A DESK -- to write on. I watched Craigslist like a hawk and finally found this shabby little number. 






2. A FILE CABINET -- to organize manuscripts. Hubby had this extra one lying around his office, so he painted it a gray/blue for me.





Other than that, I don't know what I need or even want. So here's the big question . . . what do you suggest? Leave me a comment and tell me what you think is a must for a writer's space. How do you organize/keep track of things?

7 comments:

  1. Very nice, Elliah. I think a window is essential. Also, a comfy chair where you can sit and read through your writing. I'd like a chaise but don't really the room for one right now. Pier One has some nice little chairs. A nice painting maybe? Have fun setting it up. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Window--check. Comfy chair . . . I'm working on it. : )

      Thanks for the advice, Stella!

      Delete
  2. i agree on the chair!! a high back chair... like from ballard designs (only half the price for this gal)

    love the desk.

    i especially love that its on wheels!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, those chairs look wonderfully comfy.

      I love the little wheels on the desk, too.

      Delete
  3. Nice desk! I suggest a height adjusting chair and foot rest for optimal ergonomics. I have the exact same situation as you, btw. I'm usually at the corner of the couch with my laptop. My desk is in the 3yo's room. My biggest issue is separating a true writing space from a space to do bills and stuff. By desk ends up being covered in bills and various to-do items and then I don't even want to sit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas about the foot rest and height adjusting chair . . . my back, feet, and wrists can attest to the importance of that.

      Ack. No one can be inspired when they've got a stack of bills in front of them. I am very excited because this will be a writing only space.

      I hope you get to do that someday, too.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see what you come up with! Ben and I have talked about rearranging our room so that I can do the same thing. I think he's hoping that if I get my writing done during the day, I'll sleep sleep at night. ;o)

    ReplyDelete