Wednesday, October 23, 2013

IF THE TABLES WERE TURNED . . .

"You make me sick."

I've never cared much for that phrase, even when used in a supposedly "kind" sort of a way.

For example:

I am just under 5 feet tall, I've never weighed triple digits--except for when I was pregnant, my feet are the same size as most ten-year-old girls, and I can sometimes fit into size 0 pants . . . and that's just the way I was made.

I can understand how some women might desire to wear a size 0 in pants. Really, I can. Or that some women might wish to be petite, but sometimes I seriously get my feelings hurt.

Eight hundred times too many, friends, family, and even strangers have said things to me like, "You make me sick . . . I couldn't even fit my big toe into your pants!" or "You are so tiny, you make me so sick!"

How am I suppose to respond to that?
"I'm sorry?"

Truth is--if the tables were turned and I were saying similar phrases to larger women, I'd be considered a rude and disrespectful creep. Imagine the reactions I'd get if I went around saying things like, "You make me sick . . . It would take three of me to fill one leg of your pants!" or "You are so ginormous, you make me so sick!"

No. I would never say those things. To anyone. Ever.

And don't think I'm in love with my body either. I wish I were taller, or that I could fit into "big girl" shoes (women's) instead of browsing the section with characters from ICarly, Shake it Up, and Hannah Montana on the sides. *Sigh.*

My hope, wish, message, prayer today is that we can all be a little happier with who we are (myself included). Whether you have blonde hair, black hair, red hair, or blue hair. Whether you are old or young, over-weight or thin as a noodle. Let's throw away the negative and bring in the positive. Let's love ourselves for how we were made. Who's with me?



10 comments:

  1. Love it! And you are so gorgeous! I love hoe petite you are... well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I agree. There is a lot of bullying and hate towards small people and it's just as wrong as if it were the other way. Because, it actually did used to be the other way. We've come full circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and I adore you for saying something. I'm not perfect, so words like that may cross my lips now and again, but mostly I do try to imagine if it were me and how I would feel hearing it. Focus on what is beautiful about a person, not what you envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Focus on what is beautiful about a person, not what you envy."

      Wonderful words, Kai.

      Delete
  4. Very nice post. People need to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am sorry, my sweet daughter, I am sure myself and your sisters have all said this to you at one point. I will try to be more sensitive. I think you are one of the cutest women I have ever seen. I have loved having a really petite daughter! love you and this did need to be said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true and very well put. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete