Wednesday, November 14, 2012

PROJECT:WRITING NOOK--I need your brain

PROJECT: WRITING NOOK is coming along slowly, but surely.

The other day I found this framed bulletin board at a yard sale for a few bucks. (And next to the board you will see some lovely envelopes full of hope, waiting to be sent out. Hooray for submissions!)



The board is going to go on the very bare wall above my desk. I am also thinking about putting some inspirational quote about writing up there, you know, to . . . inspire me on days when I feel uninspired.

I used to have the phrase, "Don't get it right, get it written." by James Thurber on a board next to my computer, but my son pealed the vinyl letters off one. by. one.

Today a writer friend posted this on her Facebook and I really liked it:

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
Benjamin Franklin

So. I need your brain. Yes, yours. What is your ultimate favorite bestest writing quote of all time? Please share.

6 comments:

  1. Here's a few I like.

    "Writing is a marathon of the spirit. Don't give up."
    - Stuart Cohen

    "Fill your writing with the breathings of your heart." William Wordsworth

    "Easy reading is damn hard writing." Nathaniel Hawthorne

    Have fun choosing one that speaks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stella. Those are some great ones.

      Delete
  2. "The reason I collect good ideas is because plots themselves are very difficult indeed to come by. Every month they get scarcer and scarcer. Any good story must start with a strong plot that gathers momentum all the way to the end. My main preoccupation when I am writing a story is a constant unholy terror of boring the reader. Consequently, as I write my stories I always try to create situations that will cause my readers to:
    1. Laugh (actual loud belly laughs)
    2. Squirm
    3. Become enthralled
    4. Become TENSE and EXCITED and say, "Read on! Please read on! Don't stop!"

    Roald Dahl

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some of my favorite reading/writing quotes, but I'm not sure that any of them are motivating. Well, maybe the pirate one is.

    "Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." -E. L. Doctorow

    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
    -Mark Twain

    "If you want your children to be bright, read them Fairy Tales. If you want them to be brilliant, read them even more Fairy Tales." -Albert Einstein

    "Writing is like solving a Rubic's Cube in your head, typing up the solution, and hoping someone else can understand it." -Adam Heine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Myrna. I've heard the "fairy tale" one before and I love it. : )

    ReplyDelete