Wednesday, January 23, 2013

DARN THAT BOOK!

Very rarely will you hear me say, "Darn that book!" But that's what I found myself saying a few nights ago.

My husband was out of town on business, the dinner dishes were done, all three children were FINALLY asleep, and I was mere minutes away from stepping into a liquid piece of heaven, also known as a bubble bath, when I hear something.

My first thought was the ice maker in our freezer. That thing is dang loud sometimes.
I hear another sound and go into the living room to check.
It's not the ice maker. It's a ten-year-old girl, whom I thought had been asleep, but I guess I thought wrong.

"Hi Mom."
"He-lllllooooo?"
"Whatcha doin'?"
"Getting ready for my bath. What are YOU doing?"
"Oh, just, you know. I can't sleep. Can I sew something? Or eat something?"
"Um. No. You can go back up to bed."
"But I can't, I've already tried."
"Try harder."

And then . . . the same thing happened the next night and the next. When I finally sat her down to talk about it, the real reason behind her late-night charades came out. Apparently, in The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann (a book she got from me for Christmas) if the Unwanteds can't sleep, they are allowed to roam the mansion, eat something if they want, work on hobbies, etc.

How could I get upset with her? I mean, really. All she's doing is immersing herself into an amazing fantasy world. I used to do the same sort of thing as a child. And who am I to stop her from having that amazing experience?

Oh. Wait. Right. I'm her mother.

"Time for bed and I don't want to see you down here again. Oh, by the way . . . can I borrow The Unwanteds? Thanks."

And yes, if you are wondering I am currently reading The Unwanteds every night in my bubble bath and am thoroughly enjoying it. Although I haven't come to the "can't sleep" part yet.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious. I can totally see my ten-year-old doing something like that.

    ReplyDelete