Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Itsy Bitsy Book Review: THE EMOTION THESAURUS

For the last week I have been revising my middle-grade manuscript THE DELICIOUS TEARS OF EIRA STONE. Nothing major, just needed to go over the whole-darn-thing again.

In this round, one of the things I'm focusing on is making sure to show emotions. My main character experiences plenty of them, trust me, but I discovered that sometimes I tell the reader about that emotion, instead of letting them experience it right along side the main character. I want readers to FEEL their own heart beat quickening. I want their stomachs to churn and push a sour taste up into their mouths.

Yes. I do.

And how do I easily go about doing that?





THE EMOTION THESAURUS: A Writer’s Guide To Character Expression by
Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi (and it has proved to be one of the best resources ever!)

If you have trouble coming up with body responses, inner or outer, for your characters (like I do), you seriously should get this book.

You can find it here on Amazon. Or visit www.thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment