Wednesday, August 27, 2014

PITCHWARS MENTEE BIO

Hello everyone! I thought it might be fun to jump on board and create my unofficial mentee bio for the very official #PitchWars contest. If you don't know what that is, check it out HERE.

What I read:

MG, MG, MG. Sometimes I'll read a YA if a friend suggests it.
I love historical fiction, re-tellings, fairy tale settings, and contemporary.
I'm not into high fantasy, but enjoy well done magical realism and some urban fantasy.
A recent favorite of mine is ROMEO BLUE by Phoebe Stone.

What I write:

Poetry for children
Picture books, both rhyming and non rhyming
Middle-grade novels (My #Pitchwars entry is a Contemporary, although my current WIP is Historical Fiction)

What I do in my spare (what's that?) time:

Sew. Mostly little girl clothes (especially dresses!) and quilts.
Twirl Baton. I teach weekly lessons to giggly girls who provide inspiration for some of my stories.
Play Guitar. I'm beginner-ish, but playing calms me.

What other randomness you should know about me :

I enjoy trying out funky recipes for dinner.
I've been obsessed with the color purple since childhood.
I am extremely organized, in both real life and my writing process.
I love, love, LOVE anything from the 50's-60's era--seriously, the cars, the music, the fashion, the history.
If I could travel back in time, I would.
I like to laugh. A lot. And I think I'm funny. So do my hubby and mom. Not sure about my kids.
I love rocking chairs, flowers, and brownies.

Why you should pick me:

This is an exact line from my childhood diary: "I don't want to grow up. I want to stay 11 or 12 forever!"
This proved to be true both mentally and physically, as I write stories for middle graders and am not quite 5 feet tall. Yet.

I'm a hard worker. I once climbed inside a commercial pizza oven and scrubbed it clean from the inside out.

And if that doesn't convince you:

I make very delicious baked desserts from scratch, which I love to share. For example . . . caramel covered pear cake, perfect pumpkin pie, delicious danish pastries, and a knock-your-socks-off secret family recipe cheesecake. (Just sayin'.)

You can check out other mentee bio's HERE. 

16 comments:

  1. Hello fellow MG'er! I've seen your name bouncing around and thought I should stop by to say hi. How's your WIP challenge going? You're very keen. My plan is to start and finish a short story to keep my mind off things. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison! Thank you for stopping by. The challenge is going good. It (almost) completely takes my mind off of Sept. 3rd. It has been wonderful. Good luck with your entry and your short story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your sense of adventure in the kitchen. I'm definitely not that bold!

    Good luck with your MG submission! We definitely need more MG in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH. I thought I was the only one who never wanted to get older than 12. A very wise aspiration but alas, in the end, impossible to achieve, heehee.

    Good luck with your sub!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am so glad that I'M not the ONLY ONE!

      Delete
  5. Another thing in common besides McKinley's BEAUTY, I never wanted to grow up either. And I'm glad you revealed my mysterious calling to YA lit...must be because of my staggering 5' 4" stature. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you ever find a way to travel back in time, take me with you! My husband and I always say we were born at the wrong "time". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you the best in Pitch Wars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cried and went through a life crisis when I was 12. I did NOT want to be 13. Oh, it was such a sad time in my life.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome bio! :-) For some reason, the baton-twirling makes me think of Max and Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that episode (I'll have to check it out). :)

      Delete
  10. Sign me up for some caramel covered pear cake!! Best of luck in Pitch Wars :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great bio!! Good luck with pitchwars!!

    ReplyDelete