Wednesday, December 31, 2014

WHAT A YEAR IT'S BEEN!

Every new year, I set writing goals. Usually they sound something like this:

FINISH NEW NOVEL
or
WRITE 10 NEW PICTURE BOOKS
or
REVISE CURRENT WIP

But January 1, 2014 I decided to shake things up. And by that, I mean, step outside of my comfort zone.

I've belonged to a wonderful critique group for the past 7 years. And I have several critique partners with whom I occasionally swap manuscripts. I feel comfortable and safe with them. But a year ago, in order to put into practice my 2014 goal, I started doing NEW little things. Things like joining Twitter, entering online contests, joining writer's groups on Facebook, and taking online writing classes.

I can't even begin to tell you the amazing year I've had. My writing has grown more this year than the previous 10 years combined. I've interacted with agents, editors, received feedback on my work, learned better mechanics of writing, and have made about a bajillion new friends (the best part.)

Moral of the story: expand your circle, spread your wings, take the leap. Don't be afraid to try new things and push your writing along. Who knows what 2015 will bring!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so honored to have met you via Pitch Wars! Here's to stretching yourself. I'm cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete